1. Do you think the Mirabal sisters died in vain? Would you be willing to give your life for a cause you believe in?
2. What is the importance of Dede in the novel? Why do you think Julia Alvarez chose to make her one of the major characters, even though she wasn't directly involved in the revolution?
3. If you were placed in the same position as one of the sisters, who would you rather be? Why? Now in their position, what would you do differently?
4. Trujillo's government employed fear to govern the country. This was an effective form of government for Trujillo. What was the price of the effectiveness?
5. In the middle of the book, after she is released, Minerva is torn between her old dangerous spirit and her more safe lifestyle. Which of the two did she choose towards the end of the book?
6. Do you think the method of fictionalizing the story of the Mirabal sisters' story is a good idea?
7. Why do you think the author chose to write a story around women that die before they accompolish the story's goal?
8. How do you think the Mirabal sisters would react to the state of the Dominican Republic today, where many things the Mirabals fought for have been forgotten?